Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The hustle and bustle of winter prep.

I love fall and the prep for winter.  It seems that during the summer everything on our farm spreads out all over the whole place. Pastures, roaming chickens grazing alpacas.  In the fall we pull everything back in so that winter chores won't be so tough.  Winter here in our high desert farm can be really tough.  But if winter prep is done right it isn't so bad.  My favorite part of winter is when is stays just below freezing.  It is not to cold and it is not to mushy.  The animals puff up and there winter coats keep them toasty warm.  But I am getting ahead of myself.  For now it is organizing, cleaning, moving pens and making sure everything is where I can get to it.  I am just finishing a new chicken coop and have one more to build.  I have 2 sun walls to put up on the south side of my barn and a bunch of fill to bring in to make sure everything drains well.  Everybody needs to be able to be snug as a bug in a rug.   Busy, busy, busy and loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment